Recent data released by the United States Census Bureau shows that the total population of East Meadow has increased slightly, with 37,724 residents living in the area, up from 37,461 in 2000. Of those residents, 50 percent are female and 50 percent are male.
Additional figures released state that 4.5 percent of children between ages 5 and 17 fall below the poverty line in the East Meadow Union Free School District. That is up almost one percent from the 3.53 percent that was reported in 2007.
Other Key Numbers From the Census Data
- 78 percent of the households in East Meadow were comprised of families. The average household size was three people, compared to 2.94 as reported by the 2000 census.The percentage of foreign-born East Meadow residents has increased from 11.1 percent in 2000 to 18 percent.
- 78 percent of East Meadow's residents are white, which is down from 85.3 percent in 2000. The Hispanic and Latinos follow up with 12 percent, and the Asian population sits at just over 10 percent, which is up almost four percent from the 2000 census.
- 77 percent of East Meadow's residents were born in New York.
- Among people at least 5 years old living in East Meadow, 25 percent reported speaking a language other than English at home, with Spanish being the predominant language at 34 percent. Of the people who spoke a language other than English, 36 percent reportedly "do not speak English very well."
- In terms of education, 89 percent of residents age 25 and over have graduated from high school. 41 percent of residents got at least an Associate's Degree, with 19 percent getting their Bachelor's. 14 percent of residents also got a degree in a graduate or professional arena.
- For the employed population aged 16 and over, the leading occupations were in the education, health care and social assistance fields, with 27 percent of the people falling into those categories. 75 percent of workers drive to work alone, while 11 percent carpooled from 2005-2009.
- The median household income in East Meadow is $92,027, up from $67,185 in 2000.
All of the information for this report was obtained by using the U.S. Census Bureau American Factfinder.