Police officers from the Suffolk County Police Highway Patrol Selective Alcohol Fatality Enforcement Team (SAFE-T), the New York State Police and Suffolk County Parks Police conducted the checkpoint on Sunrise Highway in front of Babylon Town Hall between 11:30 p.m Saturday and 2:40 a.m. Sunday.
Police said operation was conducted to help prevent injuries and fatalities associated with driving while intoxicated, particularly during the holiday weekend. A total of 863 vehicles went through the checkpoint.
The following people were charged with DWI:
- Matthew Ruberto, 40, of Long Pond, Pennsylvania
- Steven Hernandez, 23, of West Babylon
- Eugene Umhaber, 36, of North Bellmore
- Casey Wilson, 25, of Hempstead
- Rocio Taveras, 27, of Lindenhurst
- Michael Milo, 29, of Lindenhurst
- Cory Booth, 26, of Lindenhurst
- Samantha Difulco, 19, of Lindenhurst
- Andres Vaca, 28, of Lindenhurst
- Eric Baumann, 24, of Lindenhurst
Philip Marino, 19, of Islip Terrace, was charged with driving while ability impaired by drugs.
All of those arrested will be arraigned at First District Court in Central Islip on Sunday.