.

East Meadow Family Escapes Nancy Drive Blaze

The fire was caused by a candle, according to East Meadow Fire Department officials.

Nobody was injured in a house fire on Nancy Drive Wednesday, officials said.

According to EMFD Chief Carl Pugliese, the fire, which occurred around 7:30 p.m., was caused by a candle that was lit in a bedroom. Pugliese said the candle accidentally made contact with some of the room's contents, and before long, the room was fully engulfed in flames.

"The rear of the house was fully involved [with flames] when we got there," Pugliese said. "The fire was accidentally started."

Four people were home during the blaze, and Pugliese said nobody was injured. Mutual aid was provided by the Levittown, Hicksville and Westbury Fire Departments assist in extinguishing the fire.

"There's never a good time to have a fire, but it's even worse during the holiday season," Pugliese said.

This is a breaking news story, and Patch will provide more information as it's made available.

Kristina Hollywood December 15, 2011 at 05:11 AM
I'm so relieved to hear that everyone is okay. I heard all the sirens this evening and prayed that nobody was hurt. I feel so bad for the young girl. She must be absolutely traumatized by the events. I love candles but since I have two cats and two children, I'm too scared to ever use them. I hope the family can return to their house soon and with the support of family and friends they can have a happy holiday season. I'm sure they are feeling a tremendous amount of gratitude that they are all safe and nobody was harmed. Thank God for the volunteer firemen!
Jenn December 15, 2011 at 05:17 AM
I think that you should just write that the fire was caused by candles and leave it at that. We don't need to know what she was doing as the candle caught something- It's not right to share the other information. The poor girl is probably traumatized already- if she reads this, I can't imagine what she'd think. Please remove it.
Michael Ganci (Editor) December 15, 2011 at 07:04 AM
We couldn't agree more Kristina!
Michael Ganci (Editor) December 15, 2011 at 07:05 AM
After consideration, I agree with you. The information about what the girl was doing has been removed from the story. Thanks for reading!
Jeff Snyder December 15, 2011 at 07:04 PM
Michael, I would appreciate it if you could take all comments about the daughter off immediately. I sent you an e-mail about it...Jeff
Michael Ganci (Editor) December 15, 2011 at 07:30 PM
Mr. Snyder, The mentions of your daughter have been removed from the story. Thanks for reaching out to me. Mike

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something