Parishioners of were on Tuesday when the church was evacuated due to a suspicious smell that officials described as a "gassy odor." After the North Bellmore Fire Department responded, it was determined that the smell was from a scissor lift that was left charging in the basement for more than two weeks. The lift malfunctioned, because it is supposed to stop charging when the battery reaches 100 percent capacity. North Bellmore Fire Chief Ed Kraus said that if patrons had been exposed for a long time, they could have gotten very sick.
Other Crimes in East Meadow
- A Hempstead teen for assaulting a woman outside of on Jan. 21. Jose Zavala-Mejia allegedy cut the victim with a knife after she refused to give him money. She was treated and released from a nearby hospital.
- On Jan. 21 at 5 p.m., a house on Cambridge Street was broken into. Nothing was stolen, and police say a weapon was never displayed.
- On Jan. 20 at 2:15 a.m., a car was broken into on Park Avenue and tools were stolen.
- On Jan. 19 at 7 p.m., tires and rims were stolen from a vehicle that was parked on Aaron Avenue.
- On Jan. 18 at 4:30 p.m., a car windshield was broken on seventh street and a walkie talkie was taken from the vehicle.