The responded to a Melanie Drive alarm for elevated carbon monoxide levels Sunday night, although all of the home’s occupants escaped unharmed, officials said.
According to East Meadow Fire Department Chief Carl Pugliese, levels in the home were recorded at 197 at around 11 p.m. before fire officials vented the home. After some time, the levels retreated back to zero, Pugliese said.
“This is an example of the meter doing its job,” Pugliese said. “This is why people need to make sure their equipment is updated. It could save their life.”
Four people were home when the East Meadow Fire Department, and they were all checked out by fire officials on scene and released, Pugliese said.
“This could’ve definitely been worse,” Pugliese added. “Thankfully, this piece of equipment did exactly what it needed to do.”