Summertime is here and it's time for sun, the beach and to cruise with the top down (or windows open). But as we enter the hottest months of the year it is important to make sure that your car can handle the heat. If you follow these car care tips you will take the first steps in making sure your car runs it's best all summer long.
- Check your fluid levels and make sure that you are filled up to your manufacturers standards. Check all fluids, but make sure to check your coolant and antifreeze levels. Thea antifreeze will protect against corrosion and raise the biling temperature of the coolant.
- Change your car's oil to increase the lubrication protection of your engine and try to use a heavier oil during the summer.
- Be sure to check your windshield wipers. In the summer months they tend to dry out and become brittle. Replace them if they become hard and brittle because it can be a serious safety hazard to have wiper blades that don't do what they are supposed to during summer showers.
- Check your tires. Your tires are arguably the most important part of your vehicle. You should check them for excessive or uneven wear, and make sure they are inflated to the manufacturers recommended pressure. If your tires are worn down you should consider replacing them ASAP. If you do not know how to check your tire treads take your car to a professional or use a penny (link).
- Check your air conditioner. If you turn on your air conditioner and hot air is blowing out or it smells funny you should have it serviced. You will be extremely uncomfortable if you are stuck in traffic without a working air conditioner. It may even be a huge health risk.
- A coating of wax will help protect the exterior of your car from the sun's harmful ultra violet rays.
- Be prepared. In the event your car breaks down or you are stuck in traffic it is smart to have some extra water, a hat, and some sunscreen as you might be stuck for an extended period of time.
Follow these tips and you and your car will be prepared to enjoy the summer free of some worry. Enjoy the summer and remember to always be prepared.