In anticipation of Hurricane Irene that could strike Long Island with devastating force, officials at the NuHealth System, which funds and operates , have been making the following preparations:
- Staff has been reviewing all support services needs, including fuel, generator capabilities, and emergency power for the campuses at NUMC, A. Holly Patterson and various health centers.
- Reviewing all staffing levels, medication, food, water, medical and blood supplies and linens.
- Checking all communications capabilities.
- Maintenance staff is clearing campus of debris and loose materials.
- Checking roadways and storm drains to prevent roadway flooding.
- Making provisions for staff to stay over.
- Rescheduling elective surgeries.
- Maintain constant communications with Nassau County Office of Emergency Management, North Shore- LIJ Health System and the Department of Health.
- Continue to monitor storm reports and provide updates to administration.
- Leadership will be present during the storm to assist staff.
- Hospital officials will activate the Hospital Incident Command System.
- New emergency department (triple in size) has recently opened on the first floor (previously located on the ground floor) and will not be compromised during the storm.
- After the storm, staff will assess any damage that may have occurred during the storm.
For more information, please call NUMC at 516-572-5809.