The following is from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
The MTA Long Island Rail Road will provide additional early-afternoon service from Penn Station on Friday, Aug. 31, for customers planning an early getaway for the start of the Labor Day Weekend.
The LIRR will be operating on a weekend schedule on Sept. 1-2 and a Sunday/holiday schedule on Sept. 3. Please note that the additional Sunday afternoon Montauk Branch westbound trains from Montauk and the Hamptons will not operate on Sunday, Sept. 2, but instead operate on Monday, Sept. 3. The regular Monday-only return train departing from Montauk at 7:01 a.m., stopping at the Hamptons, and arriving at Hunterspoint Ave. at 9:57 a.m., will not run on Monday, Sept. 3, but instead will operate on Tuesday, Sept. 4.
The extra early-afternoon trains will depart Penn Station starting at 2:08 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 31. The extra service will include: three trains on the Port Jefferson Branch, three on the Babylon Branch, one on the Port Washington Branch, one on the Far Rockaway Branch and two trains to Jamaica for Montauk train connections. The eastbound afternoon train from Ronkonkoma to Yaphank gets extended to Greenport on Friday, as it normally does on Fridays during the summer through Columbus Day weekend.
Extra Train Service from Penn Station, Friday, Aug. 31:
Port Jefferson Branch to Hicksville and Huntington
- 2:08 p.m. stopping at Jamaica, Mineola, then all stops to Huntington.
- 2:29 p.m. stopping at Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica, New Hyde Park, then all stops to Huntington.
- 3:24 p.m. stopping at Jamaica, Mineola, Westbury and Hicksville.
- 2:32 p.m. express to Lynbrook, then all stops to Babylon.
- 3:00 p.m. stopping at Jamaica, Rockville Centre, then all stops to Babylon.
- 3:31 p.m. express to Rockville Centre, then all stops to Babylon.
Port Washington Branch to Great Neck
- 3:40 p.m. stopping at Woodside, Flushing-Main Street, then all stops to Great Neck.
Far Rockaway Branch
- 3:48 p.m. express to Locust Manor then all stops to Far Rockaway.
Montauk Branch (Penn Station to Jamaica with Montauk Connections)
- 1:43 p.m. to Jamaica, with a Montauk train connection.
- 3:58 p.m. to Jamaica, with a Montauk train connection.
Ronkonkoma Branch to Greenport
- The 5:21 p.m. train from Ronkonkoma to Yaphank is extended on Friday making all stops to Greenport.
For additional information, customers can consult the LIRR’s website at www.mta.info/lirr or contact the LIRR's Travel Information Center by calling 511, the New York State Travel Information Line, and say: Long Island Rail Road. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, use your preferred relay service provider for the free 711 relay to reach LIRR at 511.