Members of Nassau County's Traffic Safety Board will perform inspections in the parking lot of McKevitt's district office located at 1975 Hempstead Turnpike in East Meadow (across the street from Home Depot) between 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
“We all want our children to be safe and secure when riding in a car,” McKevitt said.
According to seatcheck.org, the following are the most common child safety seat installation mistakes:
- Not using the right child safety seats for a child’s size and age;
- Not placing the child safety seat in the correct direction;
- Incorrect installation of the child safety seat in relation to the vehicle’s air bags;
- Incorrect installation and tightness of the child safety seat to the vehicle seat;
- Not securing or tightening the child safety seat’s harness and crotch straps;
- Improper use of locking clips for certain vehicle safety belts;
- Not making sure the vehicle’s seat belts fit properly across the child when using a booster seat; and
- Using a defective or broken child safety seat.
Car seat recommendations can be found here.
“Parents, grandparents, and other child caregivers are invited to take advantage of this opportunity to make sure their child’s car seat is safely and properly installed,' McKevitt said. "I hope everyone who is able will schedule an appointment.”
Appointments are required; contact McKevitt’s district office at 228-4960.